Easy Baked Cake Mix Donuts (with Unicorn Sprinkles)
Your unicorn fans will absolutely adore these adorable and colorful cake mix donuts! The soft and fluffy donuts are topped with a simple 3 ingredient glaze and beautiful sprinkles.
These treats are sure to be a crowd-pleaser and a perfect way to add some fun and whimsy to your dessert table. They’re the perfect dessert for a Unicorn party.
This post contains affiliate links for your convenience. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Easy Cake Mix Donuts
If you’re looking for recipes with Duncan Hines cake mix (that’s not cake), then these baked donuts will be right up your alley.
Cake Mix Donuts Ingredients
Donut Glaze Ingredients
- Powdered sugar (confectioners sugar).
- Vanilla extract.
- Colorful sprinkles. Here’s an assortment of Unicorn sprinkles, the big unicorn pieces are from Walmart, and the brand is Bakery Bling.
How to Store Cake Mix Donuts
You can store these donuts in airtight containers on the counter for up to five days. If you frost them, I recommend storing them in the fridge as the frosting does have milk.
Freezing Cake Mix Baked Donuts
Once the donuts have completely cooled, you can freeze them.
When you want to eat them, simply thaw them at room temperature (or if you’re super impatient, you can microwave them 30 seconds at a time).
FAQs about Cake Mix Donuts
How to Make Baked Cake Mix Donuts
Here’s how to make a quick and easy donut recipe using cake mix, complete with a 3 ingredient frosting.
Combine the cake mix and baking powder in a large mixing bowl.
In a medium bowl pour in the oil and add the butter, and egg whites. Mix until well combined.
Add the wet ingredients to the cake mixture and stir until everything is blended together. You should have a smooth and slightly sticky batter.
Refrigerate the dough for at least 30 minutes, but you can leave it in the fridge for up to 24 hours.
Spray the donut pan with cooking spray and preheat the oven to 350F.
Spoon the batter into a piping bag and pipe it into the donut pan. You will want to fill the pan 1/3 to 1/2 of the way, otherwise, your donuts may not have a donut hole.
Bake for 10 minutes or until the edges look a little crispy, the donuts themselves may appear to be undercooked, but that’s okay. Don’t panic.
Cool in the pan for 5 minutes before transferring the cake donuts to a cooling rack.
- Dip the donuts (once they’ve cooled down – do not do this warm) into the frosting, and then into a bowl of sprinkles. This is less messy than pouring over the glaze and sprinkling the sprinkles.
- Work with 3 to 4 donuts at a time when frosting them as the frosting can harden quickly.
- Want thicker frosting? Dip the donuts repeatedly until the desired thickness is reached.
- Is the frosting drying too fast? Dip the donut again in the frosting and then add the sprinkles.
Unicorn Cake Mix Donuts (Baked)
You're going to love this simple recipe for cake mix donuts! Just mix the ingredients together, bake them in the oven, and enjoy fluffy and yummy donuts. Top with unicorn sprinkles for a whimsical dessert perfect for sleepovers and birthday parties.
Cake Mix Donut Batter
- 1 15.25 ounce white cake mix
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup of oil, olive oil, canola oil, or avocado oil
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 egg whites
Donut Glaze & Toppings
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Sprinkles for topping
Prepping the Cake Mix Batter
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the cake mix and baking powder.
- Add the wet ingredients to a medium-sized bowl.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the cake mixture. Stir until combined. The batter will be smooth and slightly sticky.
- Refrigerate the dough for at least 30 minutes, but you can do this for up to 24 hours.
- To make donuts in the oven, preheat to 350 degrees F and grease a donut pan
- Use a piping bag to pipe the batter into the pan. Fill each mold about 1/3 to 1/2 full to ensure the donut hole stays in the center.
- Bake for 10 to 11 minutes or until the edges look crispy, even if the surface may seem undercooked.
- Allow the donuts cool for 5 minutes in the pan before transferring them to a wire rack to cool down completely.
Easy Donut Glaze
- While the donuts cool, whisk together the 3 ingredients to make the glaze. If you want it thicker, add more sugar. If you want it thinner, add more milk.
- Dip the donuts (once they've cooled down - do not do this warm) into the frosting, and then into a bowl of sprinkles. Let them set on a rack.
You must chill the donuts for a minimum of 30 minutes (to 24 hours). If you don't do it, the dough may not rise.
- For best results, work with 3 to 4 donuts at a time when frosting them as the frosting can harden quickly.
- To achieve a thicker coating of frosting, dip the donuts repeatedly until the desired thickness is reached.
- If you find that the frosting dries too quickly before you can add the sprinkles, simply dip the donut again in the frosting and then add the sprinkles.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 316Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 11mgSodium: 182mgCarbohydrates: 36gFiber: 0gSugar: 27gProtein: 3g